* Good morning everyone.
* First of all, you probably heard about the bad news that happened this past week where
there were a lot of victims of shooting in where?
* In Texas and where else?
* Dayton, Ohio and where else?
* There are three places, three, four places.
* Like 30 people died.
* It's a very tragic thing that happened in the United States.
* So we offer our condolences to the families for their losses.
* It's ...
* It's a real big tragedy.
* And I was wondering what it is can we do to deal with this kind of thing?
Because it could happen to any of us any where.
* So, the first thing that comes to mind ...
if it should happen to you; if you're in the midst of that.
* You're going shopping, you're going sightseeing, you're going enjoying yourself and this happens.
* What do you do?
* You sit down and meditate?
* Does it help?
* Ughhh, probably not.
* You're probably the first one to be shot because you look so weird.
* You really stand out.
* What you do is, the Buddhist ...
I'm sorry but this is ...
you resort to the other Buddhist things that can help you.
* Chan will help you,
Chan Meditation will help you not become too terrified.
* In Buddhism the ...
the one thing that when you're in danger and you need help
the best, the most appropriate, the ideal one is
ask for Guan Yin Bodhisattva to help.
* When you're desperate,
you're in pain, you're suffering, you're in fear,
call out to Guan Yin Bodhisattva, she'll come to help you.
* She specializes ...
this Bodhisattva is the Bodhisattva of Great Compassion.
* Most Buddhists know about it.
* Because most of the Buddhist disciples,
when they are in trouble, when they are suffering,
they call out to Guan Yin and
most of them got great responses.
* That's why this Guan Yin Bodhisattva is very, very well known
throughout Buddhism, thoughout the world.
* Too many responses.
* I mean there's just ...
* That's why most Buddhist know about this in Asia.
* You don't need to be Buddhist to take advantage of this.
* She rescues everyone. All living beings.
* A tragedy also occured recently as well to a family here.
* And a child drowned in a swimming pool.
* And so the temple was asked to come out and help.
* When a tragedy occurs like that,
it means that that place has a lot of negative energy for that to happen.
* And so we went out, Master Xian Chi went out and
he did the Dharma, the Buddhist process to help with it.
* And at the swimming pool where the baby drowned,
* Her mother who came here,
came here from Vietnam.
* For a split second, in her mind
she saw Guan Yin Bodhisattva and her baby very happy, smiling.
* So, you can imagine how much pain it was,
she was experiencing for that to happen.
* And she came and she felt peaceful.
* That's what she does.
* Guan Yin Bodhisattva always comes to the rescue
to relieve your pain and suffering.
* So that happened because it's not
because she didn't ask for Guan Yin Bodhisattva.
* And she wasn't calling Guan Yin Bodhisattva but
we practice Guan Yin Bodhisattva's Dharma
at this temple.
* So wherever we go,
we bring Guan Yin's help along with it.
* That's what we do.
* Any questions?
* What is the proper way to request help?
* You request help by calling.
* Just say, "Guan Yin Bodhisattva, Guan Yin Bodhisattva
Or Guan Yin Bodhisattva.
The Chinese, they call it, "Guān-Yīn Pú-Sà (觀音菩薩)".
Vietnamese call, "Quán Thế Âm Bồ Tát".
Korean call, "Gwanseeum-Bosal (관세음보살)".
* Close enough.
* You can call in any language.
* I call, "Oh mom, please help!!!"
* She understands too.
* Your mind ...
if you think of Guan Yin Bodhisattva; she knows.
* It's automatic.
* If you're sincere, she'll come and help you.
* It's guaranteed.
* If you're not sincere.
* Some of you who says,
I don't know about these Buddhist.
* It's superstition.
* But next time I give it a try and see what happens ...
* Good luck.
* If you want to test Guan Yin Bodhisattva,
she won't come; she won't bother.
* She only comes because you really need help
not because you're a smart aleck.
* Does calling for Guan Yin help
when a person is in the 49-Day period
help at all?
(can skip for Dharma Glimpse)
* Probably not.
* Most likely not.
* I cannot answer for Guan Yin Bodhisattva.
* I wish I could but then I'd lose by protection
if I abuse it.
* So I don't dare speak on her behalf.
* But in theory
the request here is ...
this help here ...
this is temporary help.
* The nature of the help typically
is to rescue you when you are in pain and suffering.
* When you are in trouble, you are in danger.
* Not meant to be long term.
* It's primarily to relieve,
provide relief for your suffering.
* Because this pain and suffering,
out of compassion,
she sees your pain and suffering,
she'll come and rescue you.
* But in some cases, they come and save your life.
* All right?
* It happened.
* Oh, the 49 Day.
* The 49 day is ...
She probably won't help much with the 49-Day.
In particular, going to the Rebirth to the Pureland,
it's not her job to do that.
* So she will not infrindge upon others,
other Bodhisattvas and Buddha's work.
* In Buddhism,
the reason we have clear seperations of roles
because we all need
the chances to create blessings ourselves.
* All right?
* So, no. The answer is no.
* Is Guan Yin the next Bodhisattva to take Amitabha's place in the Pureland?
* Children's class,
I would like you to recite Guan Yin Bodhisattva
every single time they show up.
* And the best way to get the response from Guan Yin Bodhisattva
is to recite her name regularly.
* When you sit down and meditate, recite Guan Yin Bodhisattva.
* You can do the recitation with this,
the loud recitation.
* Guan Yin Pu Sa, Guan Yin Pu Sa, ...
* Or ...
* I don't know.
* Five, ten minutes?
* And this is what we teach students
at the boys school up in CTTB.
* Master Hsuan Hua taught them to recite during class,
Guan Yin Bodhisattva,
to begin class for 10 minutes.
* Some classes.
* So, do that for children.
* All right?
* When you ...
find yourself in trouble.
like there's some shooting or
some kind of danger around you ...
* If you recite Guan Yin Bodhisattvas name,
Guan Yin Bodhisattva,
Guān-Yīn Pú-Sà (觀音菩薩)
Quán Thế Âm Bồ Tát
(maybe no appropriate for Dharma Glimpse)
* You recite with sincerity.
* You know what happens?
* Most likely you and your party will be saved.
* Only one of you recite the Bodhisattva's name,
your group will be helped,
will receive help.
* Is that clear?
* That's in the Universal Door Chapter.
* Chapter 25 of the Lotus Sutra.
* It says that if ...
in a boat load of people going ...
getting into trouble ...
one person recite Guan Yin Bodhisattva's name,
the entire boat will be spared.
* So, I don't know how big of a boat back then.
* Maybe they don't have a crew ship yet.
* Maybe half of a crew ship will be helped.
Reciting the Buddha's name,
is it the same as being mindful of the Buddha?
* It's amazing how these people teach about mindfulness and
no one really understands what mindfulness is.